- "I have been like a blind man / who is unafraid of the dark." – Yosana Akiko (translated by Kenneth Rexroth) #
- A coworker once said there is no more soulless way to watch a ballgame than online. That said… go Twins! Huge inning, apparently! #
- GPS track of this afternoon's sailing on the st croix. Note the tacking: http://short.to/r0ms #
- Super. Phones and Internet both out this morning. Because it's not like I don't have a bunch of stuff to do that I put off last week. #
- speaking of copyediting, is it "e-mail" or "email"? Let's ask Google… http://tinyurl.com/lzb5w8 RT @librarythingtim #
- Oh yeah, I posted previous copy editor link on FB: Great interview with New Yorker copy editor Mary Norris: http://nwy5.xrt.me #
- Wishing a warm Twitter welcome to my neighborhood liquor store (@beergeekheaven), best bunch of beer geeks this side of I-694. #
- "Mountains and rivers / are spirit, condensed." – Gary Snyder #
There is a wonderful poem about Levon Helm in this week’s New Yorker.
And if, unfortunately, you don’t know who Levon Helm is, I suggest you watch these two videos:
I’ve been slowly working my way through James Taylor Dunn’s exhaustive history of my favorite river, dubbed “The St. Croix: Midwest Border River” (orginally published in 1965 and revised in 1979). It’s a fun read, though he chooses some strange topics for in-depth focus, sometimes, and it’s inevitably a bit outdated.
Now, I see that there’s a new history of the river coming out in October: “North Woods River: The St. Croix River in Upper Midwest History.” Could be good!
There’s a reading by the authors at Magers & Quinn Bookstore in Minneapolis on September 26. Of course, I can’t go, I’ll be paddling the Mississippi River that day.
- RT @dbrauer: Barack Obama definitely first black man to get attacked by the right for telling kids to work hard and stay in school. #
- Is heading to the farmers market for probably the last time this year. #
- The earth is enough http://twitgoo.com/35s7l #
- They really should never turn the lights up at the Maplewood cheap theater. It's like finding a seat in a warehouse. A very dirty warehouse. #
- Also, there's a woman in a surgical mask. Protection against H1N1 or the petri dish floor? #
- "God's love on a stick: Christ on the cross. Enjoy the State Fair." #churchsigns #
- Celebrating Labor Day in the sunny St Croix valley. It finally feels like summer… #
- Little piece of paradise: http://twitgoo.com/37adt #
- Brats over the beach fire http://twitgoo.com/37az4 #
- See ya next year, summer. http://twitgoo.com/37d3t #
- Bonnie 'Prince' Billy + Dance Dance Revolution: http://bit.ly/2dKRb #
- Awfully tired of American politics. Thankfully, the crickets sing on this evening… #
- Saw the space station and shuttle racing across the sky over Burntside Lake. #
- Northwoods barrel sauna: http://twitgoo.com/39bm0 #
- Paddled 10 miles and did a 230 rod portage with an 85 lb aluminum canoe today. Such things make Summit taste even better. #